AARP Awards Community Challenge Grant to
The Town of Summerton
- Create vibrant public places by improving open spaces and parks and activating main streets.
- Deliver a range of transportation and mobility options by increasing connectivity, walkability, bikeability, wayfinding, and access a wider range of transportation choices.
- Encourage the availability of a range of housing by increasing accessible and affordable housing solutions.
- Increase civic engagement and demonstrate the tangible value of “Smart Cities” by bringing together local leaders and residents from all backgrounds to address challenges.
- Support coronavirus response and recovery efforts by ensuring older adults’ access to information, essential services, and civic life.
AARP is the nation’s largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering people 50 and older to choose how they live as they age. With a nationwide presence and nearly 38 million members, AARP strengthens communities and advocates for what matters most to families: health security, financial stability and personal fulfillment. AARP also produces the nation’s largest circulation publications: AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin. To learn more, visit www.aarp.org or follow @AARP and @AARPadvocates on social media.
About The Town of Summerton
Summerton is ideally located in South Carolina in the heart of Santee Cooper Country, eight miles from the shores of beautiful Lake Marion and conveniently located one hour from Columbia, Charleston, and Florence. A strong reliance on farming, small business and the rustic beauty of the SC Low Country has allowed Summerton to retain the feel of a well-knit small town while getting in on the growth pattern of the lake area.
The folks of Summerton – the ones who were born here and the ones who’ve moved in, know they have a good thing going. Enjoying life is a universal goal, and they know it’s simply easier to do in Summerton.
Summerton – Where Life Is Easier!